Richard Lionheart wrote:

> I just downloaded a neat FXRuby package,  ListView,  from
> http://www.netpromi.com/listview.html.  It came with a sample app using it.
> I thought I might make use of it later,  so I peeled off the example into an
> Examples\Ruby subdir and the pkg's files in the folder Ruby\lib\listview.
>
> But that seems wrong because it might get wiped out when Ruby is updated.
> On the other hand,  it looks like Ruby updates will go into Ruby\1.9 and
> Ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.9, for example,  and thus not touch Ruby\lib.

You're right that the listview widget is independent of the Ruby version
(i.e. it's not specific to Ruby 1.8 or 1.9). Since the
lib/ruby/site_ruby directory is (I think) where your non-standard
libraries are supposed to go, however, I think that's the appropriate
place to create a "listview" folder.

Assuming that your Ruby installation has a directory structure something
like this:

	I:\Program Files\Ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8
	I:\Program Files\Ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8\i386-msvcrt
	I:\Program Files\Ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby
	I:\Program Files\Ruby\lib\ruby\1.8
	I:\Program Files\Ruby\lib\ruby\i386-msvcrt

then the directory you want to create is this one:

	I:\Program Files\Ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\listview

Note that this folder appears directly under lib/ruby/site_ruby, which
should be in the standard RUBYLIB search path by default. You should
*not* need to alter your RUBYLIB environment variable after making this
change. Copy the file(s) into that subdirectory and then access them
from your FXRuby program like this:

	require 'listview/foo.rb'

Hope this helps,

Lyle