Hi Lyle,

Thanks for your posts.

What I had (which worked) was:

    RUBYLIB = I:\Program Files\Ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8\fox

and

    require "responder"

As I understand your advice,  which I've tried and it works (as you
expected),  is to drop \fox from the first and prefix fox/ in the latter.
(BTW,  prefixing fox\ does NOT work, despite the fact I running Win2000Pro
.... it looks like the conversion from \ to / happens when the environment is
first accessed.)

It seems to me that the rationale underlying your approach is that I can
equally well reference other packages parallel to the fox folder without
changing RUBYLIB each time.

I'd like to check one other issue:  in your judgement,  what's the purpose
of the initial 'require "fox"' statement.  Hal speculated it references the
fox.so library (interesting,  a Unix extension in a Windows environment) and
that the interpreter has a built-in path to it  (its located in
Ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8\i386-msvcrt).

Again, thanks for your insights.

Regards,
Richard

---