"Florian Gross" <flgr / ccan.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:2h4b3nF8qcjnU1 / uni-berlin.de...
> rolo wrote:
> > Hi all
>
> Moin!
>
> > The ruby currently deals with only ints with one bit to differentiate it
> > with object pointers. I am not sure how much improvements can be made in
> > terms of speed if we deal all the primitives but I think that can be
> > substantial for mathematical programs.
>
> What you're basically proposing is compile-time method dispatch.
>
> It means that one would no longer be able to redefine methods of
> built-in classes or add singleton-methods to Objects which is quite a
> limitation.
>
> It could however make sense to implement this as an optional optimization.

I vote against this: doing Java for quite some time every once in a while I
curse the language designers for including primitives.  It doesn't look like
a big deal on first sight, but there's a lot of places where this makes
things more complicated than necessary.  Ruby intends to be simple and
concise and having two types of things (aka "primitives" and "objects")
would make it overly complicated.

For those interested in mathematical programming, there are far better tools
to use - I mean all those math packages that are optimized for number
crunching, symbolic math and nice plots.  I think Ruby should not optimize
for this too much.

Maybe integrating some math lib as extension would be a good idea.

Kind regards

    robert