In article <ACEPLIKLBKEMDDIELPKIEECCCFAA.rohitlodha / hotwireindia.com>,
rolo <rohitlodha / hotwireindia.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have been working on vuby for a month. I feel now that this should be open
>source but GPL is not yet decided. I want it to be a commercially viable and
>usable.
>
>I understand matz that it should not be in C++ but since I am not language
>expert like matz, My level of confusion will be very less in C++.
>
>The details I have finalized are:
>
>Code in C++
>Initial target only win32
>will have initially only interpreter but will include JIT compiler by
>version 1.0 release. might as well have Ahead of Time compiler.
>Will share bytecodes with java as much as possible.

So it will be a super-set of the current JVM?

>will be using subversion
>

>About license I feel it should not be GPL but an open source application
>which will if bought give you right to modify but not copy. If you wish to
>creates n copies you should buy n licenses.

That's not opensource.  You can't restrict copying in an opensource
license.

If you want to open source your code and allow people in inudustry to use
it then maybe you should use Ruby's current library or a BSD type license.

BTW: have you taken a look on the RubyGarden wiki.  There are several
RubyVM projects going on.  Check out:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VirtualMachineOptions

Phil