-> -----Original Message-----
-> From: Pit Capitain [mailto:pit / capitain.de]
-> Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 9:53 PM
-> To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
-> Subject: Re: Zero is true ... whoda thunk?
->
-> To summarize in other words: there are the obvious tests for
-> boolean conditions
-> including predicates (true / false) and an implicit test for
-> success / no
-> success (not-nil / nil).
->
I agree.  I might say it just a little differently.  The obvious tests are
real boolean-like situations.  Anything implicit, however, says that we
prefer a language with shortcuts.  But if we accept shortcuts, why not the
shortcut 0 == false?

I'm okay with no shortcuts, too. But I find the argument saying, "'0 ==
false' is a programming cultural thing" to be a weak argument.  There are
lots of shortcuts that make sense, once you allow for shortcuts.

-> Does this make more sense? Maybe not, it's 03:50 AM...
->

It made sense at 9:30 am, so I guess it worked.

-> Regards,
-> Pit
->

Drew