On Mon, 29 Jan 2001  22:16:32 +0900, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
[snip]
> > assuming vim 5.x and you have ruby.vim in ~/.vim
>
> vim 5.7 (gvim in fact) and my vim stuff lives in
> C:\Program Files\gvim57\vim\vim57

I'm terribly sorry. I was assuming a unix environment, too   :\

> > if you've put the cfg-files elsewhere, e.g. ~/lib/vim
> > in ~/.vimrc
>
> I don't seem to have a .vimrc (which is the Unix convention.
> I do have an _vimrc in directory:
> C:\Program Files\gvim57\vim
> though

is equivalent, however introducing the notion of a home directory on
windows and putting your customizations there would make sense. Vim
docs give $HOME/_vimrc or $VIM/_vimrc as the default for ./vimrc

> > 	let &runtimepath="~/lib/vim," . &runtimepath
>
> What files should reside there?  I have a thing called: vimrun.exe in
> C:\Program Files\gvim57\vim\vim57

It has filetypes, menus, syntax files etc. Type ':echo &runtimepath'
inside vim to see its current value. Vim docs say the PC default is
"$HOME/vimfiles,$VIM/vimfiles,$VIMRUNTIME".

> > in ~/.vim/filetype
>
> I don't seem to have this file "filetype" anywhere, not even in
> C:\Program Files\gvim57\vim\vim57\syntax

Correct; the idea is to create it yourself to add new filetypes.
See ':help new-filetype'

[snip]
> I can see that stuff when the doc directory is installed at
>
> C:\Program Files\gvim57\vim\vim57\doc
>
> but nothing that looks relevant to my problem.
>
> > If you're using vim 6.0, put the ruby.vim syntax file in the
> > ~/.vim/syntax directory.
> It is here at the moment:
> C:\Program Files\gvim57\vim\vim57\syntax
>
> I tried moving it to:
> C:\Program Files\gvim57\vim\syntax
> before, but this didn't help.  Maybe I should move the current ./syntax/*.*
> to ./*.* to get it to work then?

There should normally be no need to change the standard layout. I'm
not familiar with the windows-platform however, maybe someone with
specific experience could help you here.

general warning: syntax coloring options and the file layout changed
quite a bit from 5.x to 6.0. It might be beneficial to skip to 6.0 to
avoid having to redo everything. I've been using the 6.0 alpha's for
quite while now and they never crashed on me.

	Michel