Hi Rich,

Thanks for the response.  Now that I've got all the FXRuby stuff from Hal's
book working, I think my installation might be fine ... the main problem is
I didn't understand how the require/rubylib scheme fit together (and that
"require fox" is satisfied by fox.so in the bowel of the Ruby installation.)
So it appears that FXRuby is installed on my system.

> If you're on Windows (as it looks like you are), then you can just use the
> one-click prag-prog installer which will take care of all of the setup for
> you (Fox and FXRuby included).

> For the one-click installer you could go to
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167

Thanks for the link.  It appears that the original developent effort for
this tool was on SourceForge but has moved to RubyForge.

I think I downloaded a zip file from SourceForge and installed simply by
extracting into a suitable directory.  Since I manually unzipped,  my
environment was not set up properly.  Now with RUBYLIB set to
Ruby\site_ruby\1.8\fox,  things seem to be smoothe.

Do you think I can gain much by wiping out my installation and using the
installer from RubyForge?

Best wishes,
Richard

---