Hi Hal,

> > I'm just starting to do some GUI using Hal Fulton's excellent intro to
> > FXRuby in "The Ruby Way".  His first example worked "out of the box."

> Thanks for the compliment. Most of that section was written by someone
> else, as it happens. :)

It's well deserved: all the examples that were complete programs ran "out of
the box" once my RUBYLIB was brought up to snuff.  Thankfully, they were on
the site you indicated,  so I didn't have to key in anything.

Incidentally,  I ran all the examples under SciTE, which worked even better
after I changed the line
        command.go.*.rb=ruby $(FileNameExt)
in the Ruby.properties file to use rubyw rather than ruby.  I consulted one
of the maintainers of SciTE about my change and have yet to receive his
"blessing,"   but it works well for me in that no spurious Command window is
opened as I run these GUI apps (and non-GUI apps still run correctly.)

> > The example required "fox"
> > and included Fox,  but I don't see "fox.rb" anywhere in my Ruby
> > installation -- only a couple of Fox folders.  So what satisfied these
> > require/include statements?

> As for the require: Without looking, I guess it's fox.so that it finds.

Sounds plausible.  It's the only fox.??? file in the Ruby installation.
It's tucked away in Ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8\i386-msvcrt,  which the Ruby
interpreter knows implicitly, apparently.

> Be sure to check out the latest docs on fxruby.org, as the book is
> rather old with regard to fxruby.

THANKS. That was going to be my next question as I saw your references to
other widgets.  I had poked around on Google earlier but did not see that
site recommended in response to my queries.

> > Second,  I ran the next example,  which in addition to the fox stuff,
> > required/included "responder"/Responder.  That barfed until I added a
fully
> > qualified path to the RUBYLIB env. var.,[snip]

> Hmm, is fox.so in the same dir with responder.rb? My guess is no.

Correct.  fox.so's location is given above.  responder.rb is in
Ruby\site_ruby\1.8\fox.

> > Third,  I've got the fully qualifed path to Ruby/lib in the RUBYLIB var.
> > also.  That's probably redudant,  isn't it?

> I think so.

Great.  I'll clean that up.

Best wishes,
Richard