Richard Lionheart wrote:
> I'm just starting to do some GUI using Hal Fulton's excellent intro to
> FXRuby in "The Ruby Way".  His first example worked "out of the box."  (I'm
> running ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i386-mswin32]).  The example required "fox"
> and included Fox,  but I don't see "fox.rb" anywhere in my Ruby
> installation -- only a couple of Fox folders.  So what satisfied these
> require/include statements?

Thanks for the compliment. Most of that section was written by someone
else, as it happens. :)

Be sure to check out the latest docs on fxruby.org, as the book is
rather old with regard to fxruby.

As for the require: Without looking, I guess it's fox.so that it finds.

> Second,  I ran the next example,  which in addition to the fox stuff,
> required/included "responder"/Responder.  That barfed until I added a fully
> qualified path to the RUBYLIB env. var.,  whereupon the dark clouds
> dissipated and the sun shone through.  If Ruby found Fox in the prev.
> example,  why couldn't it find responder.rb in the Fox folder without the
> assistance of RUBLIB, suitably initialized?

Hmm, is fox.so in the same dir with responder.rb? My guess is no.

> Third,  I've got the fully qualifed path to Ruby/lib in the RUBYLIB var.
> also.  That's probably redudant,  isn't it?  Ruby seems to find stuff in
> Ruby/lib without that entry in RUBYLIB.

I think so.

Hal