Simon Strandgaard <neoneye / adslhome.dk> wrote:

>> but the thread seems to indicate it wasn't setup properly for UTF-8 anyway.
>>

> yes.. I only wanted Ruby to use UTF-8.. but not output UTF-8.
> I have one time long time ago made an attempt to switch xterm + the applications I
> use to UTF-8.. but that didn't went out successfully. Im using iso8859-1 now,
> but I am now considering making an attempt again.

I took a quick look at your example, and (won't have time til the weekend)
did see a problem in xterm that I'll have to investigate.

The -k8 option shouldn't be needed, but does seem to "fix" the problem.

>> > That makes sense. Thanks.
>>
>> > BTW: any suggestion for a better alternative than xterm?
>> > hopefully with antialiased font rendering.. (but not qt)
>>
>> xterm does that...

> yes, Carlos mailed me in private about this.
> xterm -fa 'Luxi Mono'.

> Thanks, lots of useful info.  I wasn't aware that so many
> other terminals are derived from xterm.

not all are derived (in the literal sense), but many borrow ideas.
On occasion I do see literal borrowing (I have a few examples in mind).

> BTW: Thomas, its nice to see you hanging out in comp.lang.ruby :-)

google is very helpful (I keep an eye out for problem reports).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net