quirk / syntac.net (Quirk) wrote in message news:<4e20d3f.0405190320.956255b / posting.google.com>...

> Volker, being unskilled labour, easyly thinks that the next line of
> support os a 'development guy' - -this is not true, you will never get
> a real developer doing support.

Actually, I have seen both small and medium sized software companies
that have real developers doing support.  With small, it hopefully is
obvious why, with medium, sometimes it is a policy of broadening the
employees experience, and sometimes it is due to the politics of
different groups seizing power and banishing those of a different
viewpoint to support.  (I'm not talking about frontline or helpdesk
support here.)

With Oracle, I presume there are large organizations of both support
and development separated by a Chinese wall, but ocassionally I get
some back end support where the person seems very developer oriented -
I don't know whether it is simply someone bucking for a developer job,
or just working on replicating bugs gives them an insight, or what,
but it is invariably very useful to talk to such a person.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus
RIP Leonard Rosenberg 1920-2004.  AKA Tony Randall.  Started having