My attempt at writing PACMAN was going smoothly but now I've stalled.
Not being a "games" programmer (other than 5 or 6 Tetris version), I
rarely deal with graphics as such, and I'm having a problem with the
sprites (ie. pacman and ghosties).

Basically I want to move the sprite without damaging the "underneath"
picture, as it were.  I have a display which is double buffered, so I
can flip the pic etc for fast updates and I can get the effect I want
if each time I completely re-paint the maze first, but of course that
is slowwwwwww.

What I want is (I guess), to restore just the areas where the sprite
moved from, so I guess I need to take a copy of what was in that area
before I draw the sprite.

Can't for the life of me figure out how.  Help!

PS.  My wife thinks my hands are glued to my new "Programming Ruby"
book because I haven't put it down in days!!!

Cheers