On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:25:28 +0900, Oliver Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> With all the recent talk of ruby IDEs, it seems like a good time to release
> a public beta of my attempt at an IDE, Mondrian.
>
> You can go to http://www.mondrian-ide.com to check it out (the screenshots
> are out of date at this point), or straight to
> http://mondrian-ide.com/tester.html to download the current beta release.
>
> Briefly, Mondrian is a cross-platform ruby IDE written in ruby using the
> FXRuby toolkit.  Currently working features are: integrated project
> management, a dynamically updating module/class/method browser that does a
> pretty decent job in most cases, syntax highlighting and of course the basic
> editing functions.
>
> Some cons are: no debugger (seems to be in demand these days), and mouse
> wheels still have issues (I'm told the latest FXScintilla from CVS fixes
> them, although I haven't tried it).  This version should be approaching
> stability, although please remember it is definitely a work in progress and
> saving frequently is a good idea. :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Oliver Smith
> olivers / mondrian-ide.com

my review/comments on Mondrian:

The interface is nice, and the project management and class browsing
features are impressive. The absence of a debugger is the only substantial
disappointment. On my pIII 800, debian linux system, I found Mondrian to
be significantly more stable than freeRIDE.

Mondrian has a few pre-requisites, primarily the fox and fxruby libraries.
For users already working with those libraries, installation will be a
snap, but linux users who do not already have them will have to install
them, probably by compiling them from source. I bypassed the
problem by installing freeRIDE from an apt repository, which automatically
installed all the libraries required for both IDE's. After using mondrian
for some time, I feel that vim is still a better choice for my needs, but
for a larger project, the class browser and project management facilities
of Mondrian may prove extremely useful. If you have trouble keeping track
of your rapidly growing ruby projects, you might want to try out Mondrian.
I look forward to seeing future developments.

--SegPhault