Jamis Buck wrote:

> Bill Atkins wrote:
>
>> Wx would be my choice except that it requires such a large download on
>> Linux.  I would really prefer that the user download as little as
>> possible, aside from Ruby itself.  Considering that my project's
>> source will be under 300K, it seems silly to require large GUI
>> downloads just to make it work.
>

> I once started a project that used nothing more than Ruby/DL, and drew
> its own widgets onto whatever windowing API was available (X, Gtk,
> Win32, etc.). Didn't get very far, but I'm beginning to realize that
> there may be a lot of value  in a cross-platform "pure Ruby" windowing
> toolkit.
>
> Does anyone else see any value there? Has anyone else ever attempted
> this?

One of my students has done a prototype for a pure-Ruby GUI framework
using OpenGL as the back-end. She is finishing up now and the report
should be available in 2-3 weeks. Even though she hasn't focused on it
being pretty I think it's a "doable" approach and gives lots of freedom.

Based on her prototype I'd like to get a releasable version 0.1
together, see if there is some interest in it and if it can evolve from
there. I have early vacation this year but when I'm back (late June)
I'll try to get a tarball together if there is any interest.

Regards,

Robert