On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:43:54 +0900, Kristof Bastiaensen wrote:

> There is a nice tutorial for nonprogrammers at
> <http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/>

I'll second that!  :)  My goal was actually to write a tutorial covering everything up to "Programming Ruby", sort of an unofficial prelude, so it might be exactly what you're looking for.

> I think Ruby is the best way to learn Object Oriented
> programming, because you can see how it works for yourself, rather
> than banging some abstract terminology in you head.

Yes, that was partly why I wrote the tutorial.  We have to realize that saying things like "in Ruby, everything is an object" doesn't really *mean* anything to someone who doesn't *already* know what you are trying to say in the first place.

In so many ways, object-oriented programming is so natural, and Ruby lets that emerge so beautifully.  Unfortunately, I think it's easy to get lost in the terminology.  We end up talking about "string objects" or worse, "instances of the String class", instead of just saying "strings".  Eventually, it's important to have those three concepts mean the same thing in your head, but until you wrap your head around objects and classes, it's just confusing.

Anyway, I hope you can get something out of my tutorial, even if it is aimed a bit lower than your level of experience.

Chris Pine