GOTO Kentaro writes:
> Hi,

> In message "[ruby-talk:00927] Python complaints"
>     on 99/11/25, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz / netlab.co.jp> writes:
> >Have you seen the thread ``Python complaints'' in comp.lang.python
> >newsgroup?  It's interesting that most of their complaints are
> >already solved in Ruby.  :-)
>
> No, I had not. And the root message of that thread was expired from
> my host.  I found that in DejaNews:

[...]

> # Why don't they use Ruby?? :-)

Two reasons: First, they do not know Ruby very well. Alternatively,
second, because it is not Python! :-}

And we should not forget one important thing! Ruby has pretty
libraries and extensions; Pythons has a lot more of them; and Perl
undoubtly the most!!!

Often, this is also an argument for them?

Perhaps we should ask beginners --if they come to Ruby *without* a
certain project-- whether they could translate any
extension/module/library from Python/Perl to Ruby. Best would be, a
not existing one.

We could examine hers/his module, and show him where he could do it
better using all what Ruby has to offer!

All could profit: s/he learning the language, knowing the module would
not be a drawn-away one; Ruby community, as we would have more modules
available; and last but not least, new beginner, as they would have
translated code that they could compare with the original and learn
the differences!

Of course, it would be necessary to have a wishlist in ruby-lang.org,
describing modules we would like to have for Ruby. Perhaps also
mention the language they currently are implemented.

To be up-to-date, this list should be maintainable via CGI or
something similar. Anybody could grasp a package, setting the state
from 'free' to 'under work'. Of course, everyone could decide, that
s/he does not want to finish the module. S/he could set the state also
back to 'free' or 'partially solved' and putting the currently attempt
anywhere in ruby-lang.org.

Then another one could grasp it, and proceed where the other has left
it. If the module is implemented, the state could be set to
'implemented' and the module/package should vanish from our wishlist
and goes into the library list!

If I think closer about it, I think, that this could also be useful
for us. Me, for example, have intended to write a GTK extension! But
after beginning, I have seen that there is already such a module. Some
days ago, I have begun to implement a Glade module. But again, someone
was faster than me :-)))

What do you all think about it?

--
Clemens Hintze  mailto: c.hintze / gmx.net