Target version set to 2.8
Assignee set to jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans)

At the previous dev meeting, matz said that it should display a warning dynamically, i.e., not at the parsing time but when the variables are assigned.  Variable aliases should be also warned.  @jeremyevans0, could you please progress?

Feature #14240: warn four special variables: $; $, $/ $\

* Author: akr (Akira Tanaka)
* Assignee: jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans)
* Target version: 2.8
I think the four special variables for separators should be deprecated.

```
$/    input record separator (default argument for "gets")
$\    output record separator ("print" prints it at last)
$,    default separator for Array#join and print
$;    default separator for String#split
```

I feel many program doesn't work if they are set to non-default value.

Since they are global, not thread local,
we can not change these variables safely in a multi threaded program.

So, I think we should warn them (and delete them in future).

warn-5-gvars.patch (2.31 KB)
warn-5-gvars-v2.patch (5.44 KB)
warn-5-gvars-v3.patch (5.4 KB)

--