Issue #14240 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

File warn-5-gvars-v3.patch added

nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) wrote:
> > > And non-default `$;` and `$,` are warned now.
> > > Do you think these **names** should be warned too?
> >
> > I don't feel strongly about it.  The `$;` and `$,` are currently run-time warnings based on the specific values passed when setting the values.  akr's previous comment indicated that the warnings of the five variables should be at compile time.
>
> There are tons of that warnings, and it is not easy to suppress parser warning within the given file only.

Agreed.  I'm fine dropping these compile warnings if the run-time warnings are considered sufficient.

> > One problem with the implementation in my previous patch is that it warns at the wrong location. Switching from `rb_warn` to `rb_compile_warn` fixes that issue.
>
> It should be `rb_warn1` and `WARN_I(c)` for ripper.
> And a typo `f.line_no` in template/encdb.h.tmpl.

Thanks for the review.  Attached is an updated patch that fixes these issues.

Bug #14240: warn four special variables: $; $, $/ $\