Issue #12459 has been reported by Seiji Takahashi.

Feature #12459: Add type coercion option to ARGV.getopts arguements.
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/12459

* Author: Seiji Takahashi
* Assignee:
I suggest a little new feature to lib/optparse.rb.

When I created CLI tool I defined option parser with ARGV.getopts function like following.

~~~
ARGV.getopts('abc:', 'logopt, 'optwithval:val')
~~~

It was so easy and short to recognize what is declared as options, but I could't force a type of the values.
Maybe it looks unshapely, but I'd like to confirm the types like this:

~~~
ARGV.getopts('strval:(String)intval:(Integer)', 'logopt, 'optwithval:val(String)')
~~~

Normal OptParser has type coercion but extended function ARGV.getopts has no feature like this.
This difference is trivial but inconvenient.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/