Bug #8445: IO.open and IO#set_enconding does not support :fallback option

Author: pjmtdw (Haruhiro Yoshimoto)
Assignee: akr (Akira Tanaka)
Category: M17N
Target version: current: 2.1.0
ruby -v: trunk(ruby 2.1.0dev)

RubyDoc says that IO.open and IO#set_encoding supports optional argument defined in String#encode.
http://ruby-doc.org/core-2.0/IO.html#method-c-new-label-Options
In fact, :invalid, :undef and :replace works as expected.

However, :fallback option does not work neither for IO.open and IO#set_encoding.
Following is the example code which does not work.
f(x) is never called even if hoge.txt contains non convertible character.

File.open("./hoge.txt","r:Shift_JIS:utf-8", :fallback => lambda{|x|f(x)}){|f|
}
File.open("./hoge.txt"){|f|
  f.set_encoding("Shift_JIS","utf-8",:fallback => lambda{|x|f(x)})
}

I Think this is because fill_cbuf() in io.c calls rb_econv_convert() from transcode.c directly.
On the other hand, fallback_func is called in transcode_loop(), which is called by str_encode().

Since transcode_loop() also calls rb_econv_convert(), I wrote a small patch which moves some codes from
transcode_loop() to rb_econv_convert() to fix the problem.

The attached file is the patch. Hope this helps.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/