Issue #6694 has been updated by brixen (Brian Ford).

ko1 (Koichi Sasada) wrote:
> (2012/07/20 22:42), brixen (Brian Ford) wrote:
>  > I don't think I understand your question. To summarize my objection to this proposed API change: Thread stack size should be something set at the VM level completely outside of Ruby code. Ruby code should not be coupled with implementation details.
>
>  I think I understand your question.  And your question should be
>  discussed on ticket 6695 <https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6695>.
>
>  My proposal is *not* adding "initial stack size parameter for thread
>  creation".
>  It is only "configurable thread parameters".  More general framework.
>
>  I propose "stack size parameter" at next ticket (using this ticket):
>  <https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6695>
>

>  This ticket (6694):
>    Change Thread.new() API to accept any initial parameters.
>
>  Next ticket (6695):
>    New parameters including stack size (machine stack size and VM
>    stack size).
>    Not only stack size, but also "name" and others.
>    I think "name" is killer usage of this ticket (6694).

Thread#name doesn't require a new API for Thread.new. Thread#name makes sense as something that can be set any time.

The pthread_create() design rationale referenced by Urabe-san is relevant to this proposed API. For the same reasons discussed there, I would object to this API change. I don't see any real need for this API if stack size is not one of the things being set. Hence, this API proposal really looks like just a thin rationale for that proposal.

Cheers,
Brian
Feature #6694: Thread.new without block.