Issue #5735 has been reported by Tsuyoshi Sawada.

Feature #5735: Extending the use of splat operator to when it is inside a hash
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5735

Author: Tsuyoshi Sawada
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

Ruby convention of allowing omittion of the curly brackets for the last argument is convenient:

foo(arg1, arg2, 1 => :a, 2 => :b)

Sometimes, I want to pass a hash with some modifications. For example, suppose `h = {3 => :c, 4 => :d, 5 => :e}` is a hash already defined and that I want to add some key-value pairs as well as overwrite some values of `h`, such as {3 => :c, 4 => :f, 5 => :e, 6 => :g}, and pass that. The current convention only allows:

foo(arg1, arg2, h.merge(4 => :f, 6 => :g))

but it would be more convenient if a hash preceded by the splat operator is placed in a hash, it is interpreted as part of the hash, allowing notations like:

foo(arg1, arg2, *h, 4 => :f, 6 => :g)

or, if I want to overwrite the hash `{4 => :f, 6 => :g}` with `h`, then:

foo(arg1, arg2, 4 => :f, 6 => :g, *h)

Or besides the argument position, in general, usages like the following:

This is an analogy from the splat operator used within an array:

[1, 2, *[4, 5, 6], 7, 8]

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org