Issue #16150 has been updated by tom-lord (Tom Lord).

matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto) wrote in #note-68:
> I admit `Symbol#name` that returns a frozen string from a symbol. This can be a building block of the proposal.
> As a direct solution for this issue, we have to face the naming problem (as always).
>
> Matz.

For what it's worth, I agree with the above suggestion to try making a "breaking" change to `Symbol#to_s`.

Introducing a `Symbol#name` (https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/3514) should be "Plan B", only if there's significant backlash from a release candidate.

Feature #16150: Add a way to request a frozen string from to_s