It is intentional since 1.6.0. But I am OK with making `m2` raise `LocalJumpError`.
Ask @ko1 about migration.

Matz.

Bug #17105: A single `return` can return to two different places in a proc inside a lambda inside a method

* Author: Eregon (Benoit Daloze)
A single `return` in the source code might return to 2 different lexical places.
That seems wrong to me, as AFAIK all other control flow language constructs always jump to a single place.

```ruby
def m(call_proc)
  r = -> {
    # This single return in the source might exit the lambda or the method!
    proc = Proc.new { return :return }

    if call_proc
      proc.call
      :after_in_lambda
    else
      proc
    end
  }.call # returns here if call_proc

  if call_proc
    [:after_in_method, r]
  else
    r.call
    :never_reached

p m(true)  # => [:after_in_method, :return]
p m(false) # :return
```

We're trying to figure out the semantics of `return` inside a proc in
https://github.com/oracle/truffleruby/issues/1488#issuecomment-669185675
and this behavior doesn't seem to make much sense.

@headius also seems to agree:
> I would consider that behavior to be incorrect; once the proc has escaped from the lambda, its return target is no longer valid. It should not return to a different place.
> https://github.com/jruby/jruby/issues/6350#issuecomment-669603740

So:
* is this behavior intentional? or is it a bug?
* what are actually the semantics of `return` inside a proc?

The semantics seem incredibly complicated to a point developers have no idea where `return` actually goes.
Also it must get even more complicated if one defines a `lambda` method as the block in `lambda { return }` is then non-deterministically a proc or lambda.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/