matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto) wrote in #note-17:
> I don't like `only` either since these names do not describe the behavior.

Could you explain why?
I think `single` as in "return a single element or error out" is the best name here, and the most intuitive.
If I want a random element, then #sample already exists, so I don't think there would be any confusion to what `Array#single` or `Enumerable#single` would do.

`array.only` reads weirdly to me. `array.single` is so much nicer, no?

Feature #13683: Add strict Enumerable#single