Issue #16983 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but it does seem like a fundamental and significant limitation with the design of RubyVM::AbstractSyntaxTree.of.  RubyVM::AbstractSyntaxTree.of reparses the file the method is defined in and cannot handle any cases where `eval` or similar are used.  You'll get a node completely different from what you would expect.  Here's another example:

```ruby
eval DATA.read, binding, __FILE__, 14
method = method(:foo)
pp RubyVM::AbstractSyntaxTree.of(method)

__END__
  def foo
  end
```

Output:

```
(VCALL@1:16-1:23 :binding)
```

Because it reparses the file, you'll also get the wrong result if the file is modified:

```ruby
def bar
end

File.write(__FILE__, File.read(__FILE__).gsub('def bar', "def foo\nbar"))

method = method(:bar)
pp RubyVM::AbstractSyntaxTree.of(method)
```

Output:

```
(SCOPE@1:0-3:3
 tbl: []
 args:
   (ARGS@1:7-1:7
    pre_num: 0
    pre_init: nil
    opt: nil
    first_post: nil
    post_num: 0
    post_init: nil
    rest: nil
    kw: nil
    kwrest: nil
    block: nil)
 body: (VCALL@2:0-2:3 :bar))
```

And if the interpreter can no longer access the file (chroot, file deletion, permission change, or other file system access limiting), you get an error.

I can't think of a way to fix this without all iseq methods holding a reference to the string used to parse them, and having RubyVM::AbstractSyntaxTree.of work off that string.  I'm not sure how much extra memory use that would cause, or if such an approach is considered acceptable.

Bug #16983: RubyVM::AbstractSyntaxTree.of(method) returns meaningless node if the method is defined in eval