> Couldn't static analysis of the code determine in most cases if match data need be generated or not?

scivola20 had a good idea, but this is even better. We can automatically get the best performance without having to manually optimize each case.

But static analysis has other limits besides `const_get(:Regexp).last_match`

```ruby
def foo(v)
  /x/ =~ 'x' # needs_last_match? depends on whether 'v' is regexp
  case method
  when v
    $1
```

So a simpler approach would be to check if the match operation's scope (in this case the method body) contains any of the regexp-related pseudo-globals.

Bug #17030: Enumerable#grep{_v} should be optimized for Regexp