Issue #17030 has been updated by fatkodima (Dima Fatko).

marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune) wrote in #note-12:
> Maybe it would be best to start a different thread as none of these proposals have a relation to `grep{_v}` without block not being optimized.

I have already implemented a patch to make `grep{_v}` faster and right before submitting the `Create Pull Request` button, I realized (with the help of scivola20's comment), that this case can be generalized. Because we already have, at least, `Enumerable#{all?,any?,none?}` and many future methods to be added (like `grep`), which can benefit from this generalized solution.

> This is Ruby, so I can think of some corner cases where things like `const_get(:Regexp).last_match` would be impacted (in theory), what other limitations would this have?

`case-when`?

> Couldn't static analysis of the code determine in most cases if match data need be generated or not?

In many cases, probably yes, but again, `case-when`.

Bug #17030: Enumerable#grep{_v} should be optimized for Regexp