Issue #17055 has been updated by tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson).

jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) wrote in #note-13:
> As you'll see by the benchmark, the reason the performance difference is much different than you would expect is that Model loads from the database in Sequel run through `Sequel::Model.call` (class method, not instance method), and all of the plugins that use instance variables must override the method to set the instance variables.  Because it is a class method and not an instance method, `instance_variable_set` must be used.  The overhead of all of those additional method calls (`super` and `instance_variable_set`) is what causes the dramatic difference in performance.

Could the design be improved such that `instance_variable_set` isn't required?  Using `instance_variable_set` means that inline caches will not be used (in MRI anyway), so I'm not sure it should be used in code that requires high performance.  I suppose we could also work on improving the performance of `instance_variable_set`, but I'm not sure usage is _that_ common.

Feature #17055: Allow suppressing uninitialized instance variable and method redefined verbose mode warnings