Issue #6596 has been updated by TylerRick (Tyler Rick).

I would really like to see this included in Ruby. I have wished for this method several times in the past, and again today.

What can I do to help move this proposal forward?

Feature #6596: New method for Arrays : Array#indexes

* Author: robin850 (Robin Dupret)
* Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Hello

5 days ago, I submitted a pull request on Github which provides a new method for the array objects which is Array#indexes. I have fist edit the Array#index method in order it to return an array of indexes and not a single index (which is the first occurrence it finds). I found it more logical but a user (trans) tells us that it could break the contract of Array#index so I decided to move it into Array#indexes. Eric (drbrain) tells me I should reasonning why I want to add this method ; it's just a point of view : I don't really understand why Array#index return a single index if the parameter is in the array several times.

Examples

a = [1, 2, 3, 1]
a.indexes(1)
Return : [0, 3]
a.index(1)
Return : 0
In my opinion, it's not really logical, 1 is in the array twice

Moreover, this pull request doesn't beak anything because we don't edit the Array#index method so programms which were created with previous version of Ruby will work.

I hope my post is complete. Have a nice day.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/