Issue #17000 has been updated by nagachika (Tomoyuki Chikanaga).

According to https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/16345#note-46, Matz changed his mind and proposed to turn off the deprecated warnings by default in 2.8/3.0. If that policy will be taken, I'd like to adopt mame-san's first proposal; turn off Warning[:deprecated] by default. In my opinion, the main downside of this approach was the deprecation warnings will be turned off only in 2.7, but it can be interpreted as the backporting the feature changes in 2.8/3.0 if the deprecation warnings will be turned off by default in 2.8/3.0.
If the 3.0 doesn't change the policy for deprecated warning or the discussion in #16345 doesn't reached to conclusion in the following few weeks, I will accept akr’s suggestion. I feel this will be best way to mitigate compatibility impact.

Feature #17000: 2.7.2 turns off deprecation warnings by default

* Author: mame (Yusuke Endoh)
* Assignee: nagachika (Tomoyuki Chikanaga)
Matz has decided to disable deprecation warnings for 3.0 keyword separation by default because many users feel them noisy and painful rather than useful.  See https://discuss.rubyonrails.org/t/new-2-7-3-0-keyword-argument-pain-point/74980/47 .

https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/3273 is a pull request for the change.  It is essentially one-line change in `error.c`, though it has many changes for tests that checks if the warning is appropriately emitted.

Note that this changeset disables *all* deprecation warnings by default.  The reason why I stop not only keyword-related deprecation warnings but all other ones is because, if we disable only keyword-related deprecation warnings, and if keep other deprecation on by default, it becomes ambiguous what `Warning[:deprecated]` should return.  We considered a new API like `Warning[:keyword_separation_deprecated] = true / false`, but we want to minimize the change because it goes to 2.7 branch.  Fortunately, there are not so many other warnings disabled together; a notable one is `Capturing the given block using Kernel#proc is deprecated; use `&block` instead`, but other warnings are minor, as far as I see.  It is somewhat unfortunate, but matz has already agreed with this direction.

Matz also said in the forum, "we will move on to the new keyword argument behavior in Ruby3.0 as planned".  This violates the traditional convention that "gradually" makes deprecation warnings noisy: deprecated behavior is (1) warned only when VERBOSE is enabled, (2) always warned, and (3) removed.  However, matz made this decision due to special circumstances of 3.0 keyword arguments; delaying the change will be also painful.

Note that, currently, the deprecation convention itself is not changed, so this patch is *not* going to master branch.  We can discuss the deprecation policy change in another ticket, if needed.  Anyway, let this ticket focus on ruby_2_7 branch change.  Please do not discuss the convention change in this ticket.

The final decision is up to 2.7 branch maintainer, @nagachika san, but I hope this change is accepted.

cc/ @jeremyevans0 @eregon @nobu @nagachika

keyword-warnings-verbose-mode.patch (161 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/