Issue #17034 has been updated by citizen428 (Michael Kohl).

jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) wrote in #note-2:
> I think a `RangeError` is more correct.  Without having a beginning, you cannot know the increment value, and therefore cannot know the maximum value.  People that want the end of the range should use `Range#end`, not `Range#max`.  However, I can see where `Range#max` returning the end for an inclusive beginless range could potentially be more useful.

The current PR only returns the last value if it's an inclusive beginless range of integers:

``` ruby
(..2).max
#=> 2
```

Exclusive range (`(...2).max`): TypeError (cannot exclude end value with non Integer begin value)
Non-integer range (`(...2.0).max`): TypeError (cannot exclude non Integer end value)
Non-numeric range (`(...'c').max`): TypeError (cannot get the maximum of beginless range with custom comparison method)

That said I'm happy to change it to a `RangeError` if that's the overall consensus.

Bug #17034: Unexpected behavior in #max for beginless range