Issue #16029 has been updated by byroot (Jean Boussier).

Yes I saw it this morning. Now that it's assigned and likely to be merged soon. We can probably close this issue as duplicate.

Feature #16029: Expose fstring related APIs to C-extensions

* Author: byroot (Jean Boussier)
As discussed with @tenderlove here: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/2287#issuecomment-513865160

We'd like to update various data format parsers (JSON, MessagePack, etc) to add the possibility to deduplicate strings while parsing.

But unfortunately the `rb_fstring_*` family of functions isn't available to C-extensions, so the only available fallback is `rb_funcall(str, rb_intern("-@"))` which most parsers will likely consider too slow. So the various `rb_fstring_*` functions would need to be public.

Proposed patch: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/2299

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/