On Wed 23 Apr 2003 at 08:02:09 +0900, Dave Thomas wrote:

> There an interesting situation developing. As people contribute
> additional library code to the standard distribution, we end up in the
> situation where we have a lot of duplication (for example cgi-lib vs.
> cgi, forwardable vs. delegate, fileutils vs. ftools, Date.strprime vs
> Time.strptime, getoptlong vs. getopts) and so on. We also have some
> strange design issues (for example DateTime has the most powerful time
> parsing routines, but no way of generating a Time object). All this
> leads to confusion: as a newcomer to Ruby, am I supposed to use ftools
> or fileutils, for example.

At the very least, the docs should deprecate one and advocate the other.
I've never used forwardable or delegate, so off-hand, I wouldn't even
know which one was newer.

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | petribar:  Any sun-bleached prehistoric
System Administrator        | candy that has been sitting in  the window