parker (Parker Finch) wrote in #note-4:

Thanks for your reply, I think it will help to discuss this issue at the dev meeting.

Maybe `prefix_sum` or just `prefix` or something like that would work?
Having `sum` in it is kind of confusing though as it can be any "operation" not just `+`-ing numbers, but it seems an official "term" for it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefix_sum#Scan_higher_order_function).

> But assigning to a variable inside of the block passed to `map` doesn't feel very Ruby-ish to me:
> ```ruby
> val = 0
> collection.map { |x| val = val + x }
> ```

It's just my opinion, but I see nothing wrong with that (details: it could be `val += x`).
I'd even go as far as saying `each_with_object` is often less readable than using a captured variable.
I think "purely functional, not a single re-assigned variable" often introduces significant extra complexity, when Ruby is a language that embraces both functional and imperative programming.
And anyway `each_with_object` is only useful if mutating some object (typically an Array or Hash).
Again, it's just my opinion :)

Feature #17016: Enumerable#scan_left