Issue #17022 has been updated by byroot (Jean Boussier).

> IMHO, as Date.parse is too heuristic & magical for humans

I agree, what about ISO-8601?

Feature #17022: Addition of method Kernel#Date

* Author: americodls (Americo Duarte)
What if we have a method `Kernel#Date` that delegates to `Date.parse`? Dates could be written in a more natural way, right?

```ruby
Date("2020-01-13") - Date("2019-01-13")
```

Capitalized methods are defined on the `Kernel` module to facilitate construction of basic types:

``` ruby
Kernel.methods.grep(/^[A-Z].*/)
#=> [:Rational, :Complex, :URI, :Integer, :Float, :String, :Array, :Hash, :Pathname]
```

Method `BigDecimal` is added when the corresponding library is required:

```ruby
require 'bigdecimal'
Kernel.methods.grep(/^[A-Z].*/)
#=> [:Rational, :Complex, :BigDecimal, :URI, :Integer, :Float, :String, :Array, :Hash, :Pathname]
```

The proposal is to do the same; when we do `require 'date'`, a method `Kernel#Date` should be added.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/