> Maybe new specs should go through more PRs and community oversight?

Well, clearly they should if they're not public APIs. Perhaps the spec author did not realize that was the case here.

This does illustrate a problem with each impl keeping their own copy of the specs and syncing periodically; it circumvents all review processes designed to ensure we're only adding "good" specs. Maybe we should revisit using something like git submodules for ruby/spec in alternative Ruby repos. Then we have the option to roll forward the submodule to pick up new specs *after* they're approved and merged.

Bug #16959: Weakmap has specs and third-party usage despite being a private API