Issue #16904 has been updated by vo.x (Vit Ondruch).

There was merged this [1] PR, which should resolve the issue even without removal of the `gem` call. I have not verified it myself, but the test case was modeled after my test case in comment #note-10, so I am positive about its functionality.

[1]: https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/pull/3639

Bug #16904: rubygems: psych: superclass mismatch for class Mark (TypeError)

* Author: jaruga (Jun Aruga)
Is it possible to backport the following commits into Ruby?

Remove explicit `psych` activation
https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/commit/1ccf0912a161d20e0c4a7b139fd76e8739a411ba

bundler: Remove explicit `psych` activation.
https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/commit/88478bb56945ffa9868491cacd0bc74d9d73c848

It causes the following kind of error when psych is installed as not default gem but regular gem. It's a Fedora Ruby specific case. **This is not the case of Ruby built from source normally.**

```
$ cat test.rb
require 'psych'
Gem.load_yaml # <= The error happens.
```

```
$ ruby test.rb
/usr/lib64/gems/ruby/psych-3.1.0/psych.so: warning: already initialized constant Psych::Parser::ANY
/usr/share/gems/gems/psych-3.1.0/lib/psych/parser.rb:34:in `<class:Parser>': superclass mismatch for class Mark (TypeError)
```

It is possibly also related to https://github.com/ruby/psych/issues/386 .

Thank you.

--