Issue #16908 has been updated by ioquatix (Samuel Williams).

@jeremyevans0 I agree with your assessment, however that hash does not have default_proc so I assume that it would return `nil` after all key-value pairs are `shift`ed out. That's different from invoking `default_proc` and returning `[nil, 0]`.

Bug #16908: Strange behaviour of Hash#shift when used with `default_proc`.

* Author: ioquatix (Samuel Williams)
* ruby -v: 2.7.0
I don't have any strong opinion about this, but I observed the following behaviour which I thought was confusing. Maybe it's okay, or maybe we should change it to be more consistent.

```
hash = Hash.new{|k,v| k[v] = 0}

hash.shift # => 0
hash.shift # => [nil, 0]
```

My feeling was, both cases should return `[nil, 0]`.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/