Issue #16895 has been reported by ko1 (Koichi Sasada).

Misc #16895: Request for cooperation: Try your applications/libraries with master and master-debug build
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/16895

* Author: ko1 (Koichi Sasada)
# In short
Please consider to try master and master-debug (master with debug options) builds on your CI for Ruby applications and libraries.

# Details

We are developing Ruby every day and such development usually introduces many bugs, such as wrong code and unexpected incompatibilities. Of course, we use tests but the tests used to be not enough (PR is welcome). We want to know how your applications work on master.

For example there are reports ([Bug #16669] for example) which expose issues using master branch.

Also you can try master-debug build, which enables all assertions with a macro `RUBY_DEBUG=1`.
On master-debug build, all assertions are enabled and internal interpreter state are checked aggressivly.
It makes an interpreter slow (x2 for example) but you can find MRI bugs earlier.
If you have an error on master-debug (`[BUG] ...` you can see), please ask us with your repro-code. It will be a very helpful report.

To try master and master-debug build, you need to prepare interpreter binaries and it should be tough.
So we provide two convenient ways: docker images and Github action.

## Docker images

There is a rubylang docker repository and it provides images for ruby versions, master-nightly build and master--debug version.

https://hub.docker.com/r/rubylang/ruby
> Nightly built master (e.g. rubylang/ruby:master-nightly-bionic)
> Nightly debug built master (e.g. rubylang/ruby:master-debug-nightly-bionic)

## Github action

There is a github action to download Ruby binaries <https://github.com/ruby/setup-ruby>.
You can use `ruby-head` and `ruby-debug` as master and master-debug interpreters.

# Acknowledgement

Thank you for providing such useful features, mainly @mrkn and @Eregon .

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/