> * A method that seems to return a new array that is directly related to the receiver, should return an instance of the receiver's class.
> * A method that seems to return a new array that is not directly related to the receiver, should return an Array.

So this is the old thinking?

> I used to think methods should honor subclasses, but I changed my mind that the behavior made things too complex.

And this is the new thinking? In that case +1

If a subclass needs a method to return an instance of the subclass, it can easily and _safely_ opt-in to this behavior (similar to Hash)

```ruby
class A < Array
  def select(...)
    A.new(super) #or e.g. dup.replace(super) depending on specifics of the subclass
```

On the other hand returning a subclass by default opens the door to all kinds of complexity and bugs depending on how the subclass is implemented. In particular if it has any state/ivars. `ary.select` is not the same as `ary.dup.select!` in that case.

Is there somewhere a complete list of methods that currently return a subclass?
For Array I think there's only this: drop, drop_while, take, take_while, flatten, uniq, slice

Bug #6087: How should inherited methods deal with return values of their own subclass?