At https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/16775#change-85434, Eregon (Benoit Dal=
oze) wrote:

- Could matz and other committers clarify the motivation to introduce this?=
 There is no pipeline operator currently so it seems of limited usage.

- Changing syntax often divides the community (e.g., https://twitter.com/de=
voncestes/status/1256222228431228933), should we be more careful when intro=
ducing new syntax? For instance, on syntax issues matz considers to merge, =
he could state his intention, tweet about the proposal, let it be for at le=
ast a month and then decide (merge or not). A blog post by ruby core would =
be another way to trigger feedback before merging. Often it feels like a de=
cision "out of the blue" with no clear motivation. Discussion after merging=
 feels suboptimal because people realize they have very little chance to ch=
ange anything and so just love or hate it. Being in master doesn't help muc=
h because most people won't try it, yet they can share their opinion based =
on code snippets using the new syntax.
<<<<

Developers Meeting issues are not suited for extensive discussion, so I hav=
e copied these comments here. I agree quite a bit with the suggestion in th=
e second part, but I'm very puzzled with the first part.

The "pipeline operator" is not the only syntactic construct where data flow=
 goes from left to right. Indeed, Ruby's most basic construct, method invoc=
ation, leads to a data flow from left to right in the form of method chains=
. If an R-assign operator is suitable after some pipeline operator(s), it s=
ure should be suitable after a method chain.

Feature #15921: R-assign (rightward-assignment) operator