Eregon (Benoit Daloze) wrote in #note-14:
> Much like all Enumerable methods return `Array` and (of course) do not copy instance variables, I think Array methods should do the same.

+1

Bug #6087: How should inherited methods deal with return values of their own subclass?

* Author: marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune)
* Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
* Target version: 3.0
* ruby -v: trunk
Just noticed that we still don't have a consistent way to handle return values:

```ruby
class A < Array
end
a = A.new
a.flatten.class # => A
a.rotate.class  # => Array
(a * 2).class   # => A
(a + a).class   # => Array
```

Some methods are even inconsistent depending on their arguments:

```ruby
a.slice!(0, 1).class # => A
a.slice!(0..0).class # => A
a.slice!(0, 0).class # => Array
a.slice!(1, 0).class # => Array
a.slice!(1..0).class # => Array
```

Finally, there is currently no constructor nor hook called when making these new copies, so they are never properly constructed.

Imagine this simplified class that relies on `@foo` holding a hash:

```ruby
class A < Array
  def initialize(*args)
    super
    @foo = {}
  end

  def initialize_copy(orig)
    super
    @foo = @foo.dup
a = A.new.flatten
a.class # => A
a.instance_variable_get(:@foo) # => nil, should never happen
```

I feel this violates object orientation.

One solution is to always return the base class (`Array`/`String`/...).

Another solution is to return the current subclass. To be object oriented, I feel we must do an actual `dup` of the object, including copying the instance variables, if any, and calling `initialize_copy`. Exceptions to this would be (1) explicit documentation, e.g. `Array#to_a`, or (2) methods inherited from a module (like `Enumerable` methods for `Array`).

I'll be glad to fix these once there is a decision made on which way to go.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/