ioquatix (Samuel Williams) wrote in #note-7:
> If it was me, I'd literally call it `ruby/internal/file.h` to make it very clear, along with `ruby3` -> `rb_internal_/RB_INTERNAL_`
>
> Assuming `impl` means implementation, it's not clear that it's private, but `internal` does mean a certain kind of private.

That arrangement could be confusing when @nobu merges his https://github.com/nobu/ruby/tree/feature/src-dir branch.  You should persuade him first.

Misc #16803: Discussion: those internal macros reside in public API headers

* Author: shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe)
A while ago I merged https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/2991 ("Split ruby.h").  This seems working.  But the changeset raised several questions.

The biggest one relates to those newly publicised macros and inline functions.  For instance `RUBY3_STATIC_ASSERT` is a macro that expands to either `_Static_assert` (for C) or `static_assert` (for C++).  A similar mechanism has been implemented inside of our repository for a while.  The pull request moved the definition around to be visible outside.

#### Discussion #1 ####

Is it a good idea or a bad idea, to make them visible worldwide?

#### Discussion #2 ####

Why not publicise everything?  For instance debuggers could benefit from ruby internal symbols.

#### Discussion #3 ####

It is relatively hard for us to change public APIs (doing so could break 3rd party gems).  We don't want that happen for internal APIs.  How do we achieve future flexibility?

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/