Issue #16818 has been updated by inopinatus (Joshua GOODALL).

> x / y reads "divide x by y", not "divide x into y parts"

I'm not sure I understand the difference, but nevertheless I agree with Eragon's intuition.

To me, a range is not a matrix, not a sequence either.  I think of ranges as intervals, so their division seems intuitively identical to cutting a line into parts.

I imagine an interval where the objects at each end are complex numbers. This immediately describes a line on the Euclidean plane.

Division is therefore cutting that line into parts, and the modulo operator the inverse i.e. the act of traversing that interval in fixed steps.

Feature #16818: Rename `Range#%` to `Range#/`