I'm not against this issue but for record: commit 8a72c77c7920d129818b7b83bb4fa669cd7e3f7d says "as requested by devs, support for BASERUBY prior to 2.1". and the "devs" here included ko1.  At that time his machine was a Panasonic laptop running Windows, and had older BASERUBY.  Windows situation got improved since then (we now have CI).  This might no longer be a problem.

Misc #16671: BASERUBY version policy

* Author: ko1 (Koichi Sasada)
Ruby 2.7 (MRI) requires Ruby 2.2 or later (== BASERUBY) to build from repository.
Tarball does not need any installed Ruby.
To build latest Ruby from repository, you need to build Ruby 2.2 and later from a tarball.

Can we make the BASERUBY version update policy?

# Background

To use `ISeq#to_a` (specific format) Ruby 2.2 or later is needed from Ruby 2.7.
The oldest version used by RubyCI machines was Ruby 2.2, so I determined update.
I needed to file a ticket about this version bump, sorry.

---

related: https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/16668

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/