is there any way i can trap exceptions in Ruby without going through
rb_rescue ? ... because that one is not quite convenient to use (has to go
through another separate function and such...)

well, else I make myself a struct on the stack containing receiver,
selector, argc, argv, and i pass that to rb_rescue2() like this:

rb_rescue2(
	(RMethod)rb_rescue_funcall_2,(Ruby)&m,
	(RMethod)rb_rescue_funcall_3,(Ruby)&m,
	rb_eException,0);

where m is the struct.

Now I want to ask you how much the ruby internals are resistant to a
non-VALUE being passed in a VALUE parameter? Especially the GC and such...
Is that looking for trouble ? (segfault ?)