Issue #14609 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

larskanis (Lars Kanis) wrote in #note-21:
> +1 for `obj.p`, but I don't like the alternative names. IMHO `obj.p` is the natural extension of `Kernel#p`. Any other name doesn't feel right. Does the current `p() => nil` really justify a reject of such a useful feature?

I don't code like this is a major issue:

```ruby
def foo
```

That seems unlikely to occur in real world code as it doesn't do anything useful.  Where I think you get into compatibility issues is code like:

```ruby
def foo
  debug = []
  debug << 1 if something
  debug << 2 if something_else
  p(*debug)
end
```

Here, you would expect no output, not outputting of the receiver.

Feature #14609: `Kernel#p` without args shows the receiver