MSP-Greg (Greg L) wrote:
> I propose two changes to mkmf.rb to make it more Windows friendly.
>
> 1) mingw

What is `devkit`?
Is it https://rubygems.org/gems/devkit ?
It doesn't look special for MinGW.

> 2) mswin - most compile tools other than msvc will find libraries without a lib prefix.
> Adding something similar to above two items would remove the need for Windows specific build code in many extension gems.

Until such gems remove the code, it won't repeat same compilations 4 times?

Feature #16517: mkmf.rb - changes for Windows ?

* Author: MSP-Greg (Greg L)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
I propose two changes to mkmf.rb to make it more Windows friendly.

1) mingw - `devkit` has been the standard for 'enabling' compile tools in publicly available MinGW builds for quite a while.  Could something like the following be added?  Not sure whether to rescue on LoadError or not, or whether to output anything if it doesn't load.

```ruby
if $mingw
  begin
    require 'devkit'
  rescue
```

2) mswin - most compile tools other than msvc will find libraries without a lib prefix.  Note the following code in extconf.rb for OpenSSL:

```ruby
ret = have_library("crypto", "CRYPTO_malloc") &&
  have_library("ssl", "SSL_new")
return ret if ret

if $mswin
  # OpenSSL >= 1.1.0: libcrypto.lib and libssl.lib.
  if have_library("libcrypto", "CRYPTO_malloc") &&
      have_library("libssl", "SSL_new")
    return true
  end
```

If something like the following was added, the above wouldn't be needed:

```ruby
if $mswin
  alias_method :orig_find_library, :find_library

  def find_library(lib, func, *paths, &b)
    orig_find_library(lib, func, *paths, b) || orig_find_library("lib#{lib}", func, *paths, b)
  end

  alias_method :orig_have_library, :have_library

  def have_library(lib, func = nil, headers = nil, opt = "", &b)
    orig_have_library(lib, func, headers, opt, b) || orig_have_library("lib#{lib}", func, headers, opt, b)
```

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/