Feature #11747: "bury" feature, similar to 'dig' but opposite

* Author: dam13n (damien sutevski)
* Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
* Target version:
In Matz's recent Rubyconf talk, he used this example for the new 'dig' feature coming in Ruby 2.3:

~~~ruby
# we want this
data[:users][0][:name]

# we can do this w/o nil errors
data.dig(:users, 0, :name)
~~~

What I'm proposing is a 'bury' feature that is the opposite of 'dig' in a sense. It inserts a value at an arbitrary depth, for example:

~~~ruby
data.bury(:users, 0, :name, 'Matz')
~~~

This will create a nested hash or an array automatically at each step if it doesn't already exist, and that can be inferred from the what the user is passing (such as a symbol or string for a hash or an integer for an array). It's similar to autovivification but more powerful!

This behavior is very common, at least in my experience, so a dry method built into Ruby would be awesome!

bury_examples.rb (1 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/